Friday, April 24, 2020

A Custom Point Protector Idea

I've been having some point protector ideas going through my head. Most the ones I see are those blocks of wood, with the strip of Velcro in the dart holes to keep the darts from falling out. It's simple, it's functional, and it kinda cleans the darts every time the dart goes in and out of the holes. I always thought the Velcro strip took away from the  looks. If there was only a way to hide the dart locking mechanism.  

I started with a block of aluminum. Marked the holes so when all 3 darts with standard flights are in, they miss each other by 1mm.

Double checking the drill press. Must have the darts going in perpendicular and parallel. Can't have any leaning darts. to the left I have my angle cube on the table to check if it's level. the picture to the right I chucked in a socket extension. Making sure the chuck is perpendicular to the table. The "Angle Cube" is a digital compass. It's correct to 1/10th degree. I've had it 10 year and found it very reliable for many different things. They are about $40 and I highly recommend them.

Drilled the holes, everything fits. I started with 3/32" holes, then worked out to 5/16".

Now drill 1 hole in-between the dart holes. Tap to 5.0 x 0.8mm. 

I used button head style allen bolts, It's what I had on hand. 

Ok now cut off the top. A band saw would have been handy. I didn't exactly walk it straight down the block. You know me, "Mr. Patience". But it's ok, as you will see later

My dart locking devices are O-rings.

I counter sunk the holes, so the O-rings will float inside. If the O-rings wear out, you can replace them.

All bolted together, with some sculpting to the body. It could be polished to a mirror finish. However once you get that mirror finish, you have to maintain it. Some parts are still rough from the file. I'mgoing to leave it that way ("Seasoned"). Plus is masks my impatience with the hack saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment